There are a number of scenarios when you may need to send an Update Pay Event. An Update Pay Event includes YTD totals for the employees you send it for. Since it is not linked to a Pay Run, no specific Pay Run information is included. Some of the scenarios when you may need to Send an Update Pay Event include:
- To fix previously reported data for an Employee (or Employees)
- If you are transitioning to STP mid-year
- When finalising a Financial Year
- If you are using payroll in a JCurve account, please review the following article: Finalising a Financial Year in JCurve Payroll (STP)
- If you are using payroll in a NetSuite account, please review the following article: Finalising a Financial Year in Advanced Payroll (STP)
For detailed information on when you should send an Update Pay Event, you should refer to the Single Touch Payroll employer reporting guidelines available from the ATO's through Single Touch Payroll section of their website.
How to Initiate and Send
To send an Update Pay Event:
- From the menu, select Payroll Administration > Single Touch Payroll (AU) > Send Update Pay Event
- If you have multiple Branches setup, select a Branch
- The page will refresh with Employees and their YTD data
- Select the Employees you would like to send an Update Pay Event for
- You will not be able to select any employees that are identified as having invalid data. By hovering your mouse over the symbol, a message with what's been identified as invalid will show. You should fix all invalid data identified and then refresh the page.
- If this is the final Pay Event for any Employee, then mark the relevant checkbox in the Final? column
- Once you have reviewed the data presented, read and accept the declaration by marking the Acceptance Checkbox
- Click the Submit Now button to send the Update Pay Event to the ATO.
Clicking the Submit Now button will not actually result in the Update Pay Event being sent to the ATO immediately. The system first needs to calculate the data and create the appropriate records, and then it will schedule its submission. All this will run in the background, allowing you to continue on with other work. You will receive email alerts as this process progresses.