User wants to be able to update all their Inventory Records' Item Name/Number field.
CSV Import on Setup > Import/Export > Import CSV Records.
1. Get the Internal ID of the items first by following this article: Get Internal ID of Items
Once this is done, you may create your CSV file which contains the Internal ID (Primary Key), Item Name/Number (the renamed name).
*You can add more columns if you have another mandatory fields and just input its original value if no change needed*
Sample of Excel (CSV):
2. Select your file and follow the corresponding import type and record type.
3. Select "Update" since you will updating your item name/number field. Make sure under Advanced Options, the Custom Form is your preferred form for your Inventory Records.
4. Please see picture below for Import Assistant. Yellow highlighted would be the columns you have in your excel file, red highlighted would be your Item record columns based on the custom form you are using.
Sample of my item record is below as well. Please take note of ITEM NAME/NUMBER.
On import assistant, you need to match your Item Name column to the Item Name/Number and same with Internal ID.
5. Rename the CSV Import so you can just edit it in the future from Setup > Import/Export > Saved Import Records. Then click Save & Run.
6. Click the Import Job Status link to check its status.
7. After clicking refresh to check its status, this will tell you if it has been updated successfully or not.
8. Here's a sample of one of the item that has been updated: