If Allow Override checkbox is set to True for the Document Number of a record (Using Administrator role check it via Setup >Company > Auto-Generated Numbers > Document Numbers tab > Allow Override box is checked), numbering might have been altered since this is the external number.
However, for future transactions:
There is the ability to reset the initial number on either the Document Number or Transaction Number to be the same and all newly created transactions will match as long as the Document Number is not overridden.
To do this:
- Using an Administrator role:
- Go to Setup > Company > General Preferences > check box for Show Transaction Numbering Setup.
- Navigate to Setup > Company > Auto-Generated Numbers.
- Notice that the Current Number of the Invoice under Document tab is not the same with the Current Number underTransaction Number tab.
- Under Document Numbers tab, check the Update Initial Number and enter the initial number similar with TransactionNumber. Allow Override should be set to False.
- Under Transaction Numbers tab, check the Update Initial Number and enter the initial number similar to Document Numberto synchronize.
Duplicate Number Warnings can also be enabled to avoid users to create transaction record with duplicate Document Numbers by:
- Using an administrator role:
- Go to Setup > Accounting > Accounting Preferences.
- Under Items/Transactions > Other Transaction Preferences > check the Duplicate Number Warnings.
Since this preference can be set up by users individually under Home > Set Preferences, make sure that under Setup > Company> General Preferences > Overriding Preferences > Allow Override box for Duplicate Number Warnings is unchecked.
Note that once a user made a duplicate Document Number, the auto generated number will go back to next number. For example, the user erroneously created an Invoice No 2, even though, the last Invoice Document Number created was #5, the auto generated number will go back to 3. So it is important that Allow Override for this setting is unchecked.